How many different versions of Cinderella can you think of? Books, movies, TV, plays, musicals… This story crosses cultures and has many variations. Having a daughter who was, at one time, pretty obsessed with all things princess, I’ve seen my share of Cinderella movies.
- The Disney Classic, released in 1950
- Ella Enchanted, which we’ve seen quite a few times, we own the DVD!
- Drew Barrymore in Ever After, very cool when I was 15
- A Cinderella Story with Hillary Duff (groan)
- Another Cinderella Story, starring Selena Gomez, which we watched as a family this summer on our trip to PEI and I admittedly kind of got in to.
- Kenneth Branagh’s 2005 Cinderella, which I thought was beautiful. Also, I love Helena Bonham Carter.
- Into the Woods, which was opened in Broadway more than 25 years before the amazing movie starring Meryl Streep
Turns out there are THOUSANDS of versions of this story, the earliest of which was published in published in 7 BC.
As far as Rodgers + Hammerstein’s CINDERELLA goes, in 1957, the Original Television Musical, starring Julie Andrews as Cinderella, aired on CBS, and was seen by over 100 million viewers. It was a pretty big deal.
Fourty years later, a second TV remake starring Brandy as Cinderella, Whitney Houston as the Fairy Godmother, Whoopi Goldberg as the Queen and Jason Alexander as Lionel, aired on ABC, winning an Emmy Award.
The Tony-Award winning musical is coming to Montreal and Babe and I can’t wait to go.
Rodgers + Hammerstein’s CINDERELLA is the Tony Award®-winning musical from the creators of South Pacific and The Sound of Music that’s delighting audiences with its surprisingly contemporary take on the classic tale. This lush production features an incredible orchestra, jaw-dropping transformations and all the moments you love—the pumpkin, the glass slipper, the masked ball and more—plus some surprising new twists! Be transported back to your childhood as you rediscover some of Rodgers + Hammerstein’s most beloved songs, including “In My Own Little Corner,” “Impossible/It’s Possible” and “Ten Minutes Ago” in this hilarious and romantic experience for anyone who’s ever had a dream.
Liking mamanaturale on Facebook
Sharing the Facebook post and tagging a friend who might like also like to win.
Leave a comment on the post telling me you’re done! Good luck!