Jul 292013

aprilI don’t know how to put this story into words.

It was… Phenomenal. It was the hardest thing I’ve ever done. It wasn’t serene or painless. It hurt really bad and I went from doubt to confidence to doubt to panic to confidence until I had no idea what was going on.

It all happened so fast.

The day after my second acupuncture appointment, I had an appointment with my midwife.  I was 40weeks and three days.

I thought about asking her to check my cervix but decided against it since in my last pregnancy the checks hurt so bad and gave me such false hope of going into labour naturally (without intervention at the hospital).

We had also discussed a membrane sweep but when I remembered how it felt like a knife cutting me last time I decided no.

She offered to check my cervix though and I said, sure, why not. Without any real contractions I was already five centimetres dilated. Nothing false about the hope I was feeling. So I said, you know what, please go ahead and strip those membranes. Babe and Papa were there with me and this time, it didn’t hurt.

She said, “If I don’t hear from you tonight I’ll be very surprised.”

We discussed that, because she lives across town and I seemed like a ticking timebomb, she’d come over after supper and set things up to be ready for go time. Excitement was bubbling in all of us. The car ride  home was joyous. We were sure the Bug was on his way.

I was home for only two hours and contractions started up. They went on consistently from 1 to 4 pm. Not painful but they weren’t Braxton Hicks either. I ate the madras curry I had had the foresight to put in the crockpot that morning. As I chopped the raw beef I thought of my placenta and was thankful I got someone else to encapsulate it for me.

My midwife and doula came but by the time they got here, not a lot was happening. They set all their equipment up and Babe’s playroom looked like a place a baby could be born. Oxygen, piques, a machine to reanimate baby if needed.   We had already put plastic sheets on the futon and set up the pool a few weeks before. Just in case.

Babe, Papa and I went out for a walk (to help contractions pick up again) and to get fruit. I was certain I wanted watermelon and pineapple fed to me after the baby was born. I had three sorta painful contractions during our 30 minute walk. It was beautiful out. So windy but warm. Babe kept yelling “beaucoup de vent!” We yelled it too. The sidewalks were empty. They gave us our privacy.

When I got back home I was given two options. Do everything we can to get labour going (this could have included breaking my water) or they’d go home and we’d all get rest until things picked up again. I chose the latter. Membrane rupture was how I was provoked last time and I always think, what if I’d refused?

I was a but bummed. I had been eager to get the show on the road. But it was nothing a little pizza and a movie wouldn’t remedy.

Around 7:30, I laid in bed while Papa made pizza and Babe coloured. Then I peed my pants. Not really, my water broke. But I thought I might have peed. I’ve never peed my pants before I reminded myself. Could this really be happening! Did my water break without being ruptured by a long crochet hook!

I called my doula and explained what happened. More fluid ran down my leg. She was sure it was my water and told me I should call my midwife. My midwife was also quite sure I didn’t just pee my pants. But she wasn’t going to come until my contractions were going. She suggested I just rest and relax.

Babe chose Finding Nemo to accompany our frozen Costco pizza.  As a family of three, we sat down to watch a movie for the last time.

Anytime I’m sitting or laying down Babe thinks it’s time to nurse. After pizza she climbed on me for milk. and… Oh My God. Contractions.

The joke is Bug was born before Marlon found Nemo.

To Be Continued…

 Posted by at 1:59 pm
  • Cheryl

    This makes me smile. :-) Seems as though it was the perfect antidote to your scary labour and delivery the last time. Can’t wait to read the rest!

    • http://www.jennhardy.com Jenn

      It really was healing!